Novo Nordisk's operating profit increased by 11% in Danish kroner and by 5% at constant exchange rates (CER) in the first nine months of 2019
- Sales increased by 9% in Danish kroner and by 5% at CER to DKK 89.6 billion. Sales in International Operations increased by 13% in Danish kroner (11% at CER), driven by growth in all regions. Sales in North America Operations increased by 6% in Danish kroner (decreased by 1% at CER).
- Sales within Diabetes and obesity increased by 9% to DKK 75.5 billion (6% at CER), driven by Diabetes growing 4% at CER and Obesity growing 50% at CER. Sales within Biopharmaceuticals increased by 8% to DKK 14.1 billion (4% at CER).
- Sales of Ozempic® were DKK 6,872 million and Ozempic® thereby reached blockbuster status. Ozempic® has now been launched in 24 countries. In the USA, the new-to-brand prescription market share for Ozempic® is now 37%, bringing Novo Nordisk's combined GLP-1 new-to-brand prescription market share to 54%.
- In September 2019, Novo Nordisk received the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of Rybelsus® (semaglutide tablets) for treatment of adults with type 2 diabetes and Rybelsus® has now been made available in the USA.
- For the 2019 outlook, sales growth is now expected to be 5-6% at CER (previously 4-6% at CER), while operating profit growth is still expected to be 4-6% at CER.
|PROFIT AND LOSS||9M 2019||9M 2018||Growth|
|Diluted earnings per share (in DKK)||12.68||12.40||2%||N/A|
* CER: Constant exchange rates (average 2018)
Lars Fruergaard Jørgensen, president and CEO: "We are very satisfied with the sales growth for the first nine months of 2019, which was driven by all regions in International Operations and growth across our therapy areas Diabetes, Obesity and Biopharmaceuticals. During the third quarter of 2019, we have reached two very important milestones: the US FDA approval of Rybelsus® and the blockbuster status of Ozempic® following the successful launch in the USA; two major events that emphasise the strength of our current and future GLP-1 franchise.”
On 1 November 2019 at 13.00 CET, corresponding to 8.00 am EDT, a conference call will be held. Investors will be able to listen in via a link on novonordisk.com, which can be found under ‘Investors’.
|20 November 2019||Capital Markets Day|
|05 February 2020||Financial statement for 2019|
|Contacts for further information|
|Mette Kruse Danielsen||+45 4442 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ken Inchausti (USA)||+1 609 240 email@example.com|
|Peter Hugreffe Ankersen||+45 3075 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Valdemar Borum Svarrer||+45 3079 email@example.com|
|Ann Søndermølle Rendbæk||+45 3075 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mark Joseph Root||+45 3079 email@example.com|
|Kristoffer Due Berg (USA)||+1 609 235 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Company announcement No 62 / 2019
Upcoming Life Sciences Events
- December 2019
- Marseille: BioFIT
- London: Genesis 2019
- London: The Pharma Business Development Course